- shipping ship‧ping [ˈʆɪpɪŋ] noun [uncountable]1. TRANSPORT when goods are sent or delivered somewhere by ship, road, train, or air:
• the shipping of US wheat
• the cost of shipping across the Atlanticˌbulk ˈshipping TRANSPORTthe activity of moving goods in large quantities from one place to another, especially materials such as coal or grain:
• a global marine transportation company specializing in dry bulk shipping2. ships considered as a group:
• The port is closed to all shipping.ˌmerchant ˈshipping TRANSPORTships that carry goods or passengers, or the activity of carrying goods or passengers by ship:
• Merchant shipping is now becoming increasingly specialized.
* * *shipping UK US /ˈʃɪpɪŋ/ noun [U] COMMERCE, TRANSPORT► the process or business of sending or transporting goods: »
There is a lot of competition in the shipping business these days.»
He runs a big shipping company.»
How much do we pay for shipping?»
There's been a big increase in online shipping.► ships in general: »
The storms were a danger to all shipping along that coast.»
The canal was closed to merchant shipping.»
All shipping routes were closed.
Financial and business terms. 2012.